UNM Medical Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Coding Analyst 1
at UNM Medical Group
# of Openings:
Position Class Code/Title: B1027 / Medical Coding Analyst 1
BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
This is an ongoing recruitment.
Positions may be located at various facilities within the UNM Medical Group, Inc.
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
This position provides an excellent opportunity for less experienced (6 months or more), certified, Medical Coders to continue to learn and grow in the exciting field of professional fee coding for New Mexico's largest Academic Group Practice!
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Responsible for review of E and M documentation in medical records to assure that documentation by providers conforms to compliance and legal requirements. Responsible for assigning appropriate E and M levels for outpatient office visits following medical record review. Provide feedback to the practitioners on coding practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for review and analysis of medical records for E and M levels for consultations and office visits for new or established patients in order to assign appropriate CPT codes.
- Responsible for identifying and reviewing documentation in an EMR environment to ensure that all required signatures and addendums are present in the medical record.
- Responsible for analysis as well as resolution of coding edits that occur.
- Interaction and feedback to providers, when necessary, regarding medical documentation deficiencies or to request clarification of documentation components.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of medical records and documentation.
- Follows established policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
High School diploma or GED and 6 months directly related experience to the duties and responsibilities specified or successful completion of UNMMG Medical Coding Internship Program. Certification in at least one of the following: RHIT, RHIA, RCC, CSS, CCA, CCS-P, COC, CIC, CPC, CPC-P or CPC-A. Verification of education and licensure (if applicable) will be required if selected for hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to clearly communicate medical information to professional practitioners.
- Knowledge of legal and regulatory guidelines pertaining to coding practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of procedure coding and ability to review medical records to identify billable services and assign codes appropriately.
- Knowledge of E and M CPT coding and ability to review medical records to identify billable services and assign codes appropriately in outpatient visits.
- Working knowledge of medical anatomy, terminology, HCPCS, ICD-9, ICD-10 and CPT coding.
- Knowledge and experience in healthcare software management systems (i.e. Cerner, Impac-Mosaiq, and IDX)
- Skills in working with Microsoft Office products such as Excel and Word.
- Working knowledge of electronic editing systems.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.