UNM Medical Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at UNM Medical Group
UNMMG Truman Health Services
$47,298 - $59,122 Annual Salary
# of Openings:
Job Code/Title: S1002/Clinical Nutritionist
FLSA : Exempt
BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
Truman Health Services is a NCQA Patient Centered Medical Home which provides the highest level of care and latest treatment options for New Mexicans living with HIV, requiring gender services or seeking PrEP. We offer a variety of treatment services utilizing a holistic approach towards supporting our patients’ medical, social and mental health needs. Truman Health Services is seeking an experienced candidate to join our Case Management Team.
UNM Truman Health Services is seeking a registered and licensed clinical nutritionist to provide comprehensive services for people living with HIV/AIDS and those with nutrition related health issues. The chosen candidate will be adept at diabetes education, diabetes disease management and will work with patients in an integrated, patient centered medical home to provide nutrition screening, evaluation and treatment. This position will also be charged with advising dietary changes for patients who do not have full control of their food selections, such as homeless or food-insecure patients who rely on food pantries but also have to consider the impact of their diets on their chronic conditions.
Preferred Qualifications to include experience working with patients who require support with Diabetes, Dyslipidemia, Obesity, Eternal Feeding via PEG, Malnutrition/Wasting, Gout, Vitamin Deficiencies and or Gastric Bypass
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Under direct supervision, provides basic nutrition education to patients and their families; certifies patients for specific public health program benefits. Performs a range of administrative functions required to ensure efficient program operation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluates and assesses nutrition status of patients, and screens patients for nutritional risk in accordance with established department protocols and standards.
- Plans and initiates medical nutrition therapy to patients if indicated by patient requirements and clinical protocol.
- Certifies patients for specific program benefits.
- Educates and counsels patients and families on nutritional issues, either individually or in groups.
- Communicates individual nutritional care plans to other health care providers as a member of a health care team.
- Orders and maintains inventory of program supplies, including patient checks, for all clinics.
- Performs various administrative duties related to public health nutrition programs.
- Maintains professional growth and development through completion of required departmental competencies.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
Bachelor's degree in Nutrition, Dietetics, or an equivalent field with 1 year directly related experience. State of NM Licensed Dietitian (LD) or Licensed Nutritionist (LN) or ADA Registered Dietitian (RD). Verification of education and licensure (if applicable) will be required if selected for hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Knowledge of clinical nutrition theory and practice.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Ability to effectively communicate medical information, test results, diagnoses and/or proposed treatment in a manner easily understood by the client.
- Knowledge of sponsored nutritional programs and patient certification requirements.
- Ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on research data and findings.
- Ability to resolve interpersonal problems, disputes and issues.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be credentialed per UNM Medical Group, Inc., policies and procedures and/or UNM HSC policies and procedures as applicable.
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- No or very limited physical effort required.