UNM Medical Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Certified Pharmacy Technician
at UNM Medical Group
UNMMG Truman Health Services
Commensurate with experience
# of Openings:
Position Class Code/Title: T0075 / Certified Pharmacy Technician
FLSA : Non-Exempt
FOR BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
POSITION IS FOR .25 FTE (ON-CALL) STATUS. THIS IS NOT A BENEFITS ELIGIBLE POSITION
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
Truman Health Services is a NCQA Patient Centered Medical Home which provides the highest level of care and latest treatment options for New Mexicans living with HIV, requiring gender services or seeking PrEP. We offer a variety of treatment services utilizing a holistic approach towards supporting our patients’ medical, social and mental health needs. Truman Health Services is seeking an experienced Certified Pharmacy Technician (PRN) to join our Outpatient Pharmacy Team.
UNM Truman Health Service Pharmacy is seeking a dedicated, organized, experienced, and forward thinking Certified Pharmacy Technician (PRN) who is committed to improving the health outcomes of targeted populations including people living with HIV and members of the GLBTQ community.
The chosen candidate will work in an integrated, multidisciplinary setting to provide effective, efficient, and high quality Pharmacy Services
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Working under general supervision within UNMMG and UNM Truman Health Services guidelines, provides technical and administrative assistance in the day-to-day activities of a designated pharmacy operation. Assists in the dispensing of prescription pharmaceuticals, fills routine orders for non-prescription pharmaceuticals, and provides direct customer assistance and routine problem resolution to patients dropping off and picking up prescriptions. Coordinates the billing, cash management, and fiscal tracking operations of the pharmacy, and oversees inventory and data management activities in support of pharmacy operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists the pharmacist in filling, preparing, and dispensing prescriptions; counts, packages, and labels unit doses for inspection; fills routine orders for prepackaged non-prescription pharmaceuticals and medical supplies.
- Assists patients who are dropping off or picking up prescription orders; verifies that patients receive correct prescriptions at point of sale.
- Enters patient prescription orders into a computerized database; creates and maintains computerized patient health and insurance information, in accordance with established protocol and procedure.
- Formats and uploads patient insurance data for billing purposes and monitors reimbursements.
- Communicates with prescribing practitioners as necessary to obtain refill authorizations for patients; communicates as necessary with third party payers to obtain payment for prescription claims.
- Assists with inventory control, to include ordering replacement drugs, removing outdated stock, checking new orders, and returning unwanted stock; performs periodic inventories of pharmaceutical and related stock.
- Receives and processes pharmaceutical deliveries from vendors as appropriate, and places on shelves in accordance with established protocol and procedure.
- Processes vendor invoices; monitors status of standing purchase orders and enters electronic requests for new orders or revisions to existing orders, as appropriate.
- Reconciles and records all daily cash and non-cash transactions; deposits and records all insurance payments.
- Creates and maintains spreadsheets to facilitate the financial monitoring and control of pharmacy operations.
- Fills and packages medications, including blister/bubble packaging and mail order.
- Assists in training new staff on routine procedures.
- Follows all current policies and procedures of UNMMG, Pharmacy, and State and Federal laws.
- Keeps pharmacy clean and free of clutter.
- Keeps work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
Certified Pharmacy Technician in State of New Mexico or obtain within 60 days of date of position. 2 years of experience in a retail/outpatient pharmacy, 340B pharmacy experience preferred. HIV medication experience preferred. Verification of education and licensure (if applicable) will be required if selected for hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to make intelligent decisions quickly.
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities.
- Personal initiative and follow through to completion.
- Strong communication skills and diplomacy when dealing with people.
- Able to interact with Physician offices.
- Vocabulary in pharmacy terms and abbreviations.
- Knowledge of common drugs, dosage forms, and generic drugs.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Work is normally performed in a typical retail pharmacy work environment.
- Occasional risk exposure to unusual elements such as toxic chemicals, bi-hazardous materials requiring awareness of safety precautions. May include the use of protective equipment.
- Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
- Moderate physical activity. Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.