Sandoval Regional Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Patient Care Tech 5th-PRN
at Sandoval Regional Medical Center
Patient Care Tech 5th-PRN
|Department:||Inpatient 5th floor|
|Location:||Rio Rancho, NM|
Job Summary and Scope
Assist to promote and restore patients' health through supervised nursing care to assigned patients within the nursing process; collaborate with physicians and multidisciplinary team members. Serve as a role model to promote a positive work environment and quality patient care while utilizing SRMC Values and promoting SRMC’s mission and vision. The nature of the job is diverse with frequent new and varied work situations. The job involves a moderate degree of complexity. Patient care assignment may include adolescent, adult and geriatric age groups.
- POLICIES AND PROCEDURES - Maintain established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, and quality assurance programs
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT - Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reading current literature, attending in-services, meetings and workshops.
- Report potential and actual patient safety, concerns, medical errors and or near misses in a timely manner thru the chain of command and document within the PSN system.
- Establish a compassionate environment by providing emotional psychological and spiritual support to patient, friends and families.
- Promote patient’s independence by establishing patient care goals; teaching patient, friends, identified lay caregiver and family to understand condition, medications, and self-care skills; answering questions.
- Maintain a cooperative relationship among health care teams and resolve patient problems and needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies.
- Active participation in hospital strategic initiatives such as quality improvement and monitoring TJC compliance.
- Monitor and initiate corrective action to maintain the environment of care including equipment and material resources
- Ability to assess and document evaluation and re-evaluation of patient status
- Able to document and communicate pertinent information using computer and/or paper documentation tools in a timely and accurate manner.
- Place cardiac monitor, obtain blood specimens (with MD orders), place or remove Foley catheters after proven competency, transport patients, assist nursing staff/physicians in treatment procedures as required; take and record vital signs to include (but not limited) temperature, pulse, respiration, weight, height, blood pressure and intake/output measurements as directed by department guidelines
- Assist with activities of daily livings (ADL) and provider basic patient care including meals, ambulation, hygiene, linen change, and toileting
- Observe patient to ensure their safety and well-being; report observations to nurse or appropriate designee; assist patient and family members with any needs and questions within established parameters
- Perform a variety of clerical duties in support of assigned area as required
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
SRMC Core Values
Integrity: Our words and actions match our values
To Serve: We put the needs of others before our own
Excellence: We strive to exceed expectations and/or standards in every activity, every encounter, and every initiative
Safety/Quality: We provide evidence based care, programs, services, and an environment that achieves the best outcomes
Teamwork: We enjoy the ability and power to work collaboratively to deliver exceptional service
- Contacts are normally made with other within UNM-Sandoval
- Contacts are usually with own department staff and own supervisor
- Contacts frequently contain confidential/sensitive information necessitating discretion at all times
- Percentage of contacts by phone: 20%; percentage of contacts face to face: 70%; percentage of contacts by email:10%.
- Percentage of contacts with patients: 80% and percentage with non-patients: 20%.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing
- Physiological knowledge
- Knowledge in bedside manner
- Knowledge in infection control
- Skill in administering medication
- Multi-tasking skills
- Teamwork abilities
- Health Promotion and Maintenance abilities
- Patient assessment knowledge
- Critical thinking abilities
- Ability to remain focused and organized
- Ability to independently seek out resources
- Knowledge of scope of the Registered Nurse
Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent
* One of the following: Nursing Assistant Program Graduate, Medical Assistant or Patient Care Tech program graduate (includes experience required), Military Medic Training graduate/DD Form 214, completion of Accredited/Hospital sponsored Nursing Tech Course, Nursing Tech Challenge, successful completion of approved EMT-Basic or higher training program, actively enrolled in an accredited nursing program and participating in clinical rotations, or Inpatient/Acute Hospital Nurse Tech experience
* CPR Certification or must obtain within thirty (30) calendar days of date of position
* Basic Arrhythmia Certification or equivalent within one (1) year of date of position
Preferred Educational/Experience Requirements:
* 1 year recent experience in specialty area
* Dual Language Certification