Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Scientific Software Engineer/Technical lead
at ERT, Inc.
Work can be performed in one of three locations Washington, DC; Boston, MA; and/or Albuquerque, NM.
Primary responsibilities include scientific programming in space weather science modeling to enable science algorithms/prototypes to operational capabilities, and advance current research-to-operations practices in methodology, configuration management processes, and tools.
Specific job functions include:
- Design, develop, integrate, and maintain space weather science information system.
- Apply modern Agile software development processes in designing, implementing, and troubleshooting C/C++ and Java applications.
- Participate and review all technical documentation, including interface control document, specifications, test plans, and procedures.
- Transition existing research-level code to more efficient numerical algorithms, develop new code, develop tools for visualizing and analyzing model output, and document all code and procedures.
- Testing code reliability and performance, identifying problems and interpreting the results for verification purposes in collaboration with the researcher team
8+ years of experience in general software engineering development and familiarity with research to operations methodology in delivering mission-critical system applications, preferably space weather systems at NOAA/NASA/DoD. Experience in developing with multiple languages C/Fortran/C++/Java and Linux/Unix shell scripts in Centos Linux environment. Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Highly motivated and adaptable in a fast paced and dynamic working environment. A high degree of working independently and capable of collaborating with other subject matter experts. Hands-on programming skills and a good general understanding of scientific processes are required.
Knowledge in conducting and managing system level testing and familiarity with SCM best practices. Using GIT is plus. Experience in working with data formats like XML, KML, and JSON and associated tools and defining data ontology or dictionary is desired. System engineering, IT security, and scripting for automation skills are preferred. Experience with large and real-time systems and or scientific computing is plus. Experience with C/C++/Fortran programming ionospheric science models and familiarity with 3D HF propagation models is highly desirable.
Project/program management experience is desirable.
Must be a US Citizen to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
Active DoD Secret or Top Secret clearance, or equivalent, preferred.
BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related discipline, or equivalent.