County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Metro Transport Officer - MDC
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Under daily supervision, to provide a safe and secure environment for staff, inmates and the public, under the principles of direct supervision in accordance with the American Correctional Association Standards. Enforce laws and departmental regulations that apply to detention and corrections; and perform a variety of other duties relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
*The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
- Assist arresting officer with residents; receive store and release residents' property and maintain receipt records.
- Coordinate arrangements for resident's court appearances.
- Maintain order by applying use of force continuum and report unusual conditions, policy violations, disturbances or indication of potential disorder to superiors.
- Patrol designated areas of Metropolitan Court and the inmate holding unit; control traffic to and from assigned areas; maintain security and inspect facilities to insure the safety and security of residents; take periodic resident counts in all detention levels, work details and other resident-holding areas; account for residents outside cell areas.
- Administer emergency first aid if necessary; refer residents to the medical and psychiatric service unit and/or counselors.
- Participate in fire and safety evacuation drills and related emergency situations.
- Maintain logs and write reports as required by supervisor.
- Abide by the Department Code of Ethics.
- Apply of mechanical restraints such as cuffs and leg irons.
- Supervise and escort inmates to court hearings.
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED. Post-secondary education in law enforcement, criminal justice or related discipline is desirable. One (1) year of experience in the field of corrections or law enforcement is desirable.
- Knowledge of and experience in the operations, services and activities of a corrections and detention program.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of the criminal justice system, law enforcement, modern booking procedures, corrections and detention theory and practice.
- Knowledge of correctional institution security and inmate security practices, occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Knowledge of pertinent federal, state, and local codes, laws, and regulations and the ability to interpret and apply them.
- Skill in performing basic computer functions.
- Skill in the use and care of weapons, including firearms, and in restraint and self-defense tactics.
- Ability to apply first aid, CPR and related emergency practices and techniques.
- Ability to analyze hazardous situations in a rational, mature and confident manner and to act effectively; to remain calm and effective under stressful situations.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise administrative reports.
- Ability to read, interpret, enforce, apply and explain correction laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively and professionally with superiors, other officers, department personnel, and the general public.
- Supplemental Information
Screening and Compliance
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
- Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and background investigation.
- Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
- Employee must possess a valid New Mexico driver's license by employment date and retain a valid license while employed in this position.
- Shift work is required.
- The majority of essential duties are performed indoors in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Outdoor duties are sometimes required in performance of essential duties and worker is exposed to natural weather conditions while performing outdoor duties.
- Worker may be exposed to intermittent noise and vibration, a variety of fumes and odors, contagious diseases and potentially hostile and dangerous situations.
- Indoor working surface is even and may be carpeted or tiled.
- Indoor surfaces are typically dry and may involve the use of stairs.
- Outdoor surface may be even or uneven and may be wet or dry.
- Outdoor duties may involve the use of stairs or ladders and may be performed on inclines or hills.
- Outdoor surfaces may include natural ground, asphalt, or concrete.
- Worker may perform duties with or without directions from a supervisor.
- Worker may perform duties alone, or as part of a select team.
- Work hazards include high stress level of job, operation of a vehicle.
Equipment, Tools and Materials
- Equipment typically used to perform administrative duties include the telephone, computer, telefax machine, typewriter, photocopy machine, pager and two-way radio.
- Utilizes security equipment, restraint equipment, and mace as necessary, and weapons based on assignment.
- Utilizes first aid equipment, oxygen, fire extinguishers and other safety equipment on an as needed basis
- Operates a county vehicle as assigned.
- Materials and products typically handled in the performance of administrative duties include a wide variety of forms and paperwork, reports, various writing utensils and a wide assortment of other basic office supplies and materials.
COUNTY OF BERNALILLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER