City Of Albuquerque
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Police Officer Second Class-Lateral
at City Of Albuquerque
- Position Summary
Provide basic law enforcement services to an assigned area under the direction of a Field Services Sergeant.
Hourly Rate $21.27 - Current Certified Lateral who possess less than 24 months of experience as a Police Officer.
Hourly Rate $28.00 - Current Certified Lateral who possess at least 24 months of experience as a Police Officer who worked for a law enforcement agency (post academy/probationary experience) with full police powers and duties.
Hourly Rate $29.00 - After successful completion of probationary period as a Police Officer 2nd Class (P2C) - Lateral
In state laterals must be currently certified. Out of state laterals must be currently certified and their certification must be recognized and approved by the New Mexico Department of Public Safety.
This is a safety sensitive position subject to random drug/alcohol testing.
You will not be considered until you have 1st completed the application and selection process at APD online, please click here to apply.
Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- No felony convictions. Criminal activity in which applicant has been convicted of, pled guilty to, or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge, been involved in any prosecution diversion program (PPP) as adjudicated for a felony crime committed will be permanently disqualified. Felony arrests will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- No misdemeanor convictions within the last three (3) years from the date of initial testing. Applicants who within 3 years preceding their written test date, have been convicted of, pled guilty to, or entered a plea of nolo contendre to any violation of federal law, state law, or local ordinance that would be classified as a misdemeanor crime, will be reviewed on an individual basis and may be cause for disqualification (does not include minor traffic violations). Misdemeanor arrests will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- No DWI convictions within the last five (5) years from the date of initial testing, whether from an administrative sanction by a Motor Vehicle Department, criminal conviction, or military disciplinary action. Two (2) or more DWIs in the most recent ten (10) year period disqualifies an individual as an applicant. DWI arrests will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- An applicant cannot have been convicted of a Domestic Violence Act. Domestic related arrests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- No use in the last two (2) years of any illegal drug that would amount to a misdemeanor crime if found in possession (includes marijuana).
- No use in the last five (5) years of any illegal drug that would amount to a felony crime if found in possession (includes felony prescription drug use).
- Any history of discipline, termination or resignation in lieu of termination is grounds for disqualification.
- Any financial accounts referred to collections, written or charged off will be reviewed on a case by case basis and may result in disqualification.
- In state laterals must be currently certified. Out of state laterals must be currently certified and their certification must be recognized and approved by the New Mexico Department of Public Safety.
- Any pending administrative actions with any board or commissions will be reviewed and may be cause for disqualification. This shall include reviewing history of using lethal and less lethal force, determining whether the applicant has been named in a civil or criminal action, and assessing use of force training records and complaint history.
- Possession of a New Mexico Law Enforcement Certificate or successfully meet the New Mexico Department of Public Safety Certification by Waiver training requirements and eligibility standards.
- Applicants must meet New Mexico Department of Public Safety minimum standards prior to completing probation.
- Must complete an abbreviated APD Lateral Academy.
- Must have a valid driver's license and obtain a New Mexico driver's (Class D) license within 30 days of your date of hire.
- Possession of a City Operator's Permit (COP) within six (6) months from date of hire.
- Must serve a one (1) year probationary period from the APD Lateral Academy graduation date.
- Preferred Knowledge
- Methods, techniques and procedures of law enforcement including patrol, crime prevention, investigation and identification
- Principles of report preparation
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes, state statutes, city ordinances, state vehicle codes and safety regulations
- Firearms and defensive tactics skills and survival techniques
- Routine Street Patrol
- Principles and practices of firearm use
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations
- Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Use and properly care for department equipment
- Understand, interpret and apply laws, regulations, policies and procedures
- Prepare clear and concise reports
- Use good judgment to problem solve situations
- Analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine and take appropriate action
- Make sound decisions in a timely manner
- Identify potential crime situations or traffic hazards and take preventive action
- Maintain composure and perform effectively in stressful situations
- Perform defensive tactics and survival techniques
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Mediate disputes advising of rights and processes
- Engage in teamwork and collaborate
- Maintain a high degree of personal and professional honesty and integrity
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work